Lecturer (EF) (BB-B5902)
Found in: Neuvoo AU
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The School of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) is the largest and most prestigious school of computing in Australia. It offers undergraduate programs in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science and Bioinformatics, as well as a number of combined degrees with other disciplines. Our research and teaching staff are world leading and world building as they advance knowledge and learning. People join CSE for the opportunity to work with top-tier students and to join a community of scholars who support them to achieve their full potential.
UNSW’s Education Focussed roles (EF) enable academics to specialise in education and devote their time to delivering high-quality teaching and pursuing initiatives to enhance the educational experience of our students. Those who are appointed to this prestigious specialism will be expected to successfully drive educational excellence within the university’s teaching and learning communities.
The purpose of this role is to deliver excellent teaching and conduct research in Computer Science education and pedagogy. The role will contribute to teaching and research that bridges both theoretical and practical aspects of computing. While applications will be considered from any area related to Computer Science
About the role
- $109K - $128K plus 17% Superannuation and annual leave loading
- Fixed Term – 3 years
- Full time (35 hours)
- 4 Positions available - 2 x 5 year Convertible Tenure Track (CTT) 2 x 3 Year Fixed Term
The role of Lecturer – Education Focused reports to the Head of School, Aaron Quigley and has no direct reports.
The purpose of this role is to conduct research in computer science education and pedagogy. The role will contribute to research and teaching that bridges both theoretical and practical aspects of computing. While applications will be considered from any area related to Computer Science, particular interest will be given to applications to the broad fields of:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Cybersecurity and Privacy
- Computer Vision & Image Processing
- Embedded and Operating Systems
- Human Computer Interaction
- Machine Learning
- Programming Languages and Compilers
- Service-Oriented Computing
- Trustworthy Systems and
- Theoretical Computer Science.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Demonstrate and continuously develop a well-defined teaching philosophy that inspires student learning;
- Conduct classes, assess student learning achievements and support students in postgraduate and undergraduate courses in line with UNSW policy;
- Design and develop learning activities and resources, and assessment and feedback using a range of suitable approaches and learning environments
- Initiate the development of experimental approaches to teaching and learning with the support of more senior academics;
- Support learning progression with students as individuals (through such activities as one-to-one consultation) and as a cohort (through general course related advice) to achieve positive learning and employability outcomes for students;
- Manage course administration as Course Authority, including academic quality assurance;
- Maintain professional development in pedagogy, disciplinary knowledge and minimum professional accreditation requirements (where relevant)
- Make a positive contribution to School meetings and seminars and be a member of School/Faculty committees as required;
- Cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that your actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of yourself or others
- Engage with the management and support of online learning activities (including administrative duties such as associate director for online education)
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A PhD in a related discipline, and/or relevant work experience;
- Actively stays up to date with discipline knowledge and professional development
- Demonstrated experience in teaching and learning design, development and delivery at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level.
- Experience using and/or designing with educational technologies and online delivery methods
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness and passion for educational excellence (e.g. relevant discipline-based curriculum design and development at a variety of levels and scales)
- Demonstrated knowledge of industry or experience of work-integrated learning (desirable)
- Evidence of highly developed interpersonal and organisational skills
- Evidence of ability to support and inspire students from diverse backgrounds and support student equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application.
For informal queries, please see the below contact details.
Otherwise, please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent directly to the contact listed.
Applications close: February 26th, 2021
Find out more about working at UNSW at www.unsw.edu.au
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity or Indigenous heritage. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
UNSW partners with Australia’s leading diversity organisations, networks, and campaigns. Please refer to UNSW’s diversity offerings for further information on our flexible work and leave options, and support for carers (childcare, parent rooms, parental leave).
calendar_today4 days ago
work University of New South Wales